May 31, 2008

New Use for an Old Suitcase


This is a small size white vintage Samsonite Travel Case that I'm transforming into a Picnic Case.

First I selected a vintage Children's Book and cut out the pictures in it. I LOVE these pictures because they take me back to my own childhood. I so relate to the characters from the movie "Now And Then".

With MOD PODGE Gloss-Lustre by Plaid decoupage glue and a sponge type paintbrush I then began arranging the pictures onto the suitcase. Work around the edge first then towards the center. I partially glued some pictures on to decide whether to put the next picture under or over that one as I went along.

On one side I arranged the pictures to see them upright when the case is laid flat and on the other side I arranged them to be seen upright as the case is being carried.


Then when it' was completely covered I applied the first layer of sealant still using the MOD PODGE glue for that as well. The first coat is still tacky. When it's dry I'll add 3 to 4 more coats drying each layer to seal it well then I'll lightly sand the project to buff it with fine sandpaper.

So while it's drying I found this red checkered fabric and I'm debating on how to turn it into the picnic tablecloth. I may hand embroider a design onto white muslin to add to it. Some red rickrack would be a nice touch too.

The inside is slightly musty so I have bleached the inside and crumpled newspaper in it for a few days to absorb any remaining odor. I've removed the inside liner to replace it with a corresponding fabric that I've yet to pick out.



Finally I'll shop for some retro style plastic dishes to fill the case for this summer picnicking.

This is a fun recycling project sure to receive plenty of use!

Isn't it adorable?

7 comments:

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

What a cool case!

Solicity Sock Monkey said...

Thanks Delilah! Wish I had your talent. Your ability to see in abstract form is delicious.

crafter said...

I love this. It is terribly cute!

Mrs4444 said...

Are you kidding?! Of course it's adorable! You are a genius, Woman! I love the way you think, and your blog is a treat. Speaking of Modge Podge, I think you would like this project:

http://mrs4444.blogspot.com/2008/01/best-seat-in-house.html

Toxiferous said...

Wow, that's a fantastic case! I love it!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Must check out your other stuff. I'm so jealous! : )

Anonymous said...

I can't follow you :(